Your company has hired an online reputation management firm (or consultant) to help you solve your negative reputation be it negative reviews; unfavorable mentions in the local media or a harsh complaint in the Ripoff Report website.
Problem solved right?
When you engage with an ORM firm, you should expect:
- a project assessment.
- a strategy on how they plan to fix your problem.
- a project update each week.
Behind the scenes, any reputable reputation management firm is:
- Creating new websites; blogs; social networking accounts; photography sites and more for your business or for you as an individual (if you have an individual reputation problem).
- Writing and publishing tons of unique content on your behalf.
- Building “white hat” links pointing to positive URLs about you and/or your company.
Reputation repair is SEO on steroids and, depending on the severity of the problem, you shouldn’t expect your reputation problem to be repaired in one hour, one day or one week. Remember: while it takes years to build a good reputation and five minutes to destroy it, it could also take months (and sometimes longer) to repair your reputation.
Businesses and individuals should support and help their online reputation management firm by:
- Sharing pictures and videos via Dropbox, Google Drive, etc. suitable for republication.
- Finding in their files professional white papers, how-to guides, old press releases, term papers, resumes, positive publications they have authored that could be converted into shiny, new digital content.
- Writing and refreshing stale company blogs.
- Increasing social media efforts in Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn and others.
Yes, we understand that your online reputation problem can be viewed as extremely important to your bottom line or for making your next career move. However, contrary to what you might think, your situation is probably not unique and online reputation firms have usually seen your specific type of reputation problem many, many times over. Excessively emotional correspondence or a bombardment of telephone calls; e-mails and virtual meeting requests can equate into more billable hours for you and your company – none of which is helping to repair your reputation problem. Make sure to treat your reputation project like a military strategist. Keep your hurt feelings in check, stay focused, and help your ORM firm generate an artillery barrage of positive content. It will help you win your battle quickly.
* * *
Mountain Woods Media, LLC specializes in online reputation management and repair for companies and business professionals. Contact us for more information or visit our Training page to see our online reputation courses.